Monday, February 28, 2011

The Great Debate

I think it's time we brought everything out into the open. The elephant in the room, at topic that actually most people discuss but nobody ever steps up to the plate and confronts the issue. North campus vs. South campus. What's the deal? When I visited last year, checking out the campus and whatnot, I stayed with a girl living in granville one night and I stayed with a girl who lived in Eringhaus the other. Polar opposites I must say. North and South are extremely different feels. Maybe that's where the tension comes from? Who knows. Anyways, my friend who lived in granville hardly even knew how to direct me to the Pit...and my friend who lived on south campus complained incessantly about the snobs on north. That one weekend and my initial exposure to UNC was just the beginning. I live on south campus, but most of my friends live on north campus, so I'd like to say I get a vibe from both. Many of the people who live on my hall make snide remarks about those in granville who are basically "living in a hotel," or don't ever leave their "granville bubble." While when I visit my friends who are supposedly living in luxury, they constantly make jokes that I live on another galaxy, 13542352 miles away. A dorm is just a dorm. Why must we stereotype so harshly? Part of me says yes, those on north don't usually venture to south campus and when they do it's like touring the zoo. Part of me says yes, those on south can get over themselves and stop complaining about north campus and how "nice it is" we could live there too if we wanted. Can't we all just meet in polk place and hold hands? Maybe I'm the only one who thinks there is such tension, but I'm pretty sure it exists. Coming from a small private school with the majority of those living in granville, most familiar with my school assume I live there too and insta-judge me. I often get a little eyebrow raise when I tell them I call Craige my home. Let's just move on and call it a day.

Ps. I hope I didn't offend anybody. Like I said, a dorm is just a dorm. Soon we will all just be living in apartments and houses and there won't be any feud between the north and south poles.

No comments:

Post a Comment