Tuesday, March 22, 2011

dis right here is my swag

From time to time I volunteer at the local homeless shelter. It's a pretty sweet gig. I hang out with the kids on the playground and eat some snacks with the parents. Not a huge time commitment, but totally worth it at the end of the day. So the last time I was hanging out at the shelter, I was playing some ball with one of the coolest kids there (or so the other kids tell me) and we were playing a sick game of knockout. Obviously I was losing because let's face it, I'm pretty awful at all hand-eye coordination sports, but I've learned to live with it so don't worry. But the kid I was playing with was clearly dominating the game. And all of the sudden, out of the blew, he breaks out into song. This kid is the definition of thug in the best way possible. He wears his pants down low, his hat off to the side, and his shoes untied (the cool kind of untied though). So you're probably wondering what on earth he's singing about in the middle of knockout. My question exactly. Instead of "This Right Here Is My Swag" he belts out "This Right Here Is My Knowledge". I let him finish the song because he's killin it, but when he's done I start pestering him with questions. Obviously he's super freaked out because I hardly know him and he clearly thought I wasn't listening. The song was to the tune of "Swag" but with an intellectual twist. For a 10 year old, I thought this was pretty awesome. But as soon as I bring it up he blushes and pretends like he never sang it in the first place. Oops. I guess people don't like to sing to strangers in public at such a young age. Either way, I was pumped that he remixed the song about stuff he was learning in school. I can hardly write an acrostic poem when forced. I didn't pester him much more because he wasn't feeling it. We kept playing and acted like it never happened. Thought this was a pretty cool experience. Whatever it was I was digging it.

No comments:

Post a Comment